Our tour continues towards the town of Nizip 20 km away. The Fevkani Church is in the Şıhlar District of the town. The recently restored church is currently used as a venue for various courses and cultural activities.
Although the exact date of construction is unknown, its architecture and traces of the frescoes in the interior point to the 6th century. In the records of the Vakıf (charitable foundation) it is mentioned as having been built in the 12th century.
The church was converted into a mosque in the 1800s. It served as a mosque for one century, before being abandoned after the building of the Şıhlar Mosque (1888) and the Mollla Ahmet Mosque (1904).
The church was surrounded by a stone courtyard until 1960, after which a brick wall was built around it. In 1970-1971 it was used as a municipal warehouse, and then the floor was covered with concrete and the building was rented to the state tobacco monopoly. The church is built on a closed Greek-cross plan, and of smooth ashlar. The closed cross is very apparent on the outside.