Print this page

Şurahbil Zaviyesi (Dervish Lodge)

After leaving Sheikh Mansur tomb and heading north for 3 km, we arrive at the Şurahbil Lodge in the middle of town.

It is said that Şurahbil bin Hasene is buried in the hazira (tombs within an enclosure) of the lodge. The small mosque next to the hazira was extended to the east over time, and as other structures were added around the courtyard, the building evolved into a lodge. The main building, rectangular in shape, is covered along its entire length with a huge barrel vault. There is a well in the courtyard, believed by the local people to contain water with healing properties. The minaret, located on the west side of the tomb, was constructed in 1960. An epigraph in the mosque states that the building underwent repairs in the first half of the 16th century  during the reign of Sultan Süleyman the Magnificent. Further repairs were carried out in 1902 during the reign of Abdülhamit Han II. The 6 graves located in the rear garden of the tomb are believed to belong to sahaba (disciples to the prophet Mohammed) who also fell in battle in this area, around the same time as Şurahbil bin Hasene.


Şurahbil bin Hasene was a sahaba from Mecca and was among those who emigrated to Abyssinia. He fought in several wars alongside the Prophet (Peace be upon Him) and he also acted as his scribe. During the time of Ebu Bekir, Şurahbil bin Hasene was sent to join the Islamic conquest of Damascus. He was also involved in the conquest of Jordan and the peaceful defeat of Tiberias. In Kilis, he fought in a battle in Meşhedlik and was a commander in the area for six months. He died from cholera in the year 639.

Read 1828 times